Orlando, Fla. — Thanksgiving 2020 may be an extremely difficult holiday for many families, as the pandemic has left millions of Floridians jobless and many struggling to pay bills.
In an effort to help out households that can’t afford a turkey and ingredients, several local leaders, non-profits and businesses are hosting food distribution events.
Plan to arrive early for the free food events happening in Central Florida.
Monday, Nov. 23 2020
- Change Church Orlando Farm Share Feed the Need Florida at Farm Share Food Distribution (1450 Citrus Oaks Avenue, Gotha, FL.)
- Event starts at 10 a.m.
- “Senator Randolph Bracy (D-Ocoee) will host a food distribution event to serve his constituents in Central Florida during this critical time. Senator Bracy and his event partners will be delivering enough food to feed over 500 families. Some of the items to be distributed include: fresh fruit and vegetables, water, assorted non-perishable items and much more. Out of an abundance of caution, constituents can only drive through in a car while staff and volunteers load up each vehicle.”
- Day of Giving with Commissioner Regina Hill at the Northwest Community Center ( 3955 Wd Judge Dr, Orlando, FL)
- Event starts at 3 p.m.
- Commissioner Regina Hill, Orlando Magic, and the Gordon Family Giving Foundation have partnered to host a Turkey Giveaway at the Northwest Community Center on November 23rd. 800 Turkeys along with all the fixings for a Thanksgiving meal to residents on a first-come, first-served basis. At 3 PM at the Northwest Community Center, she, community partners, & our new NPU officers, are joining forces to help 800 families, no pre-registration required.”
- Paramore Community Thanksgiving Giveaway at Exploria Stadium (655 W Church St, Orlando, FL)
- Event Pick-up Times:
- 9:00am - 10:00am
- 10:00am - 11:00am
- 11:00am - 12:00pm
- “We will be distributing 600 turkeys along with all the groceries for a full Thanksgiving meal to the Parramore community. Families have been registered for different times to pick up their turkeys” thanks to Regina Hill, District 5 Commissioner, Kay Rawlins, Orlando City Foundation President, Publix, Orlando City SC Employees, and Second Harvest Food Bank.
- Rosemont Community Turkey Drive at Miami Grill and Bar (5320 North Orange Blossom Trail Orlando, FL.)
- Event starts at 4 p.m.
- Former NFL player and UCF grad Kamar Aiken will be in Orlando to give out turkeys and Thanksgiving essentials for the north Orlando community. The drive-thru event will be held in the rear of the parking lot. Availability will be on a first-come first-service.
Tuesday, Nov. 24 2020
- Pendas Law Firm Turkey Giveaway at (625 E. Colonial Drive Orlando, FL.)
- Event starts at 8:30 a.m.
- Distribution is on a first-come-first-served basis at the firm’s office and recipients must wear masks and practice social distancing.
- Salvation Army Drive-Thru Hopesgiving at (440 W. Colonial Dr. in Orlando, FL.)
- Event starts at 1 p.m.
- Thanksgiving ingredients, including turkey, will be provided for up to 500 families. The event lasts until the food runs out. The Salvation Army is also giving out 5,000 fully cooked to-go meals on Thanksgiving Day starting at 11 a.m. Previous events have fed roughly 13,000 people.
- Orlando Union Rescue Mission To-Go Thanksgiving Meal at at the mission’s men’s home (3300 West Colonial Dr. Orlando, FL.)
- Thanksgiving dinner will be served to homeless and low-income residents to-go style. The distribution includes a goody bag of hygiene items.
Are we missing a local Thanksgiving food giveaway? Email Katrina Scales at email@example.com.