VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. — A 14-year-old girl accused of getting into a shootout with deputies appeared before a judge for her first appearance on Tuesday morning.
The judge ordered Nicole Jackson to be held for 21 days. She has a detention hearing scheduled for June 23.
Jackson was transported from a facility in Orange County to Volusia County on Monday night.
Deputies said Jackson and Travis O’Brien, 12, ran away from the Florida United Methodist Children’s Home last week.
After the pair ran away from the home, they broke into a house and got into a shootout with Volusia deputies.
Jackson was hit by gunfire when she pointed a shotgun at one of the deputies, officials said. O’Brien surrendered soon after that.
They both face attempted murder on law enforcement and burglary charges and documents obtained by Channel 9 show the each has a history of mental illness.
The state attorney’s office is still deciding whether to charge either of the 12-year-old or 14-year-old as adults. That decision is expected to be made in the coming weeks.
Attempted murder on law enforcement can carry a life sentence, but Daytona Beach criminal attorney Aaron Delgado said because of their age, even if they are charged as adults their punishment may not be as severe.
“The saving grace for the children is if the state treats them as adults then the judicial system still has some safety measures in place,” Delgado said.
He said the children’s prior mental health and criminal history will probably not factor into the state attorney’s decision to possibly charge them as adult but could be used by a defense attorney at trial.
©2021 Cox Media Group