Orlando, Fla. — The Volusia County Sheriff’s Office is cracking down on would-be home repair contractors who operate without a proper license.
Operation “Extreme Makeover: Fraud Edition” was activated in Deltona and DeLand on Wednesday and Thursday.
Parts of DeLand are still recovering from an EF-2 tornado that touched down a month ago, causing millions of dollars in damage.
“This week’s operation was already planned prior to the tornado, but Sheriff Mike Chitwood said the arrests should serve as a warning to any con artists looking to take advantage of residents in need of home repairs,” says a Volusia County Sheriff’s Office press release.
Deputies arrested eight people, who were found unlicensed to perform the handy-work offered.
According to the release, the charges have been upgraded to felonies because a state of emergency enacted for Hurricane Isaias was still in effect
The defendants are as listed:
- Bobby Copley, 46, Port Orange, advertising as “Mr. Fix a Roof Leak,” roof repair and light switch installation; 2 counts.
- Gregory Sizemore, 56, Deltona, advertising as “Mr. Handy Handyman Service,” bathroom remodel and light installation; 2 counts.
- David Levison, 58, Orlando, advertising as “The Water Heater Man,” water heater installation and electrical installation; 2 counts. Also charged with violation of probation re: theft of state funds ($20,000-$100,000).
- Aaron Ingram, 33, Daytona Beach, advertising as “GEOFLOW Air Conditioning and Heating,” air conditioner system replacement; 1 count.
- Michael Lowe, 41, Orlando, advertising as “QM&M Electrical,” light installation; 1 count. Also has an active Georgia warrant for violation of probation re: theft.
- Jose Roldan, 47, Deltona, advertising as “Roldan’s Handyman Service,” roof repair, water heater installation; 2 counts.
- Frank Brito, 32, Deltona, water heater installation, plumbing work; 1 count.
- Frank Brito, 68, Deltona, water heater installation, plumbing work; 1 count.
If you beleive you’ve been scammed by an unlicensed contractor, you can submit a tip to Crimeline by clicking here.