ORLANDO, Fla. — Notices are going out in the mail this week, informing voters in Orange County where they will be casting ballots in the August and November elections. For people in 20 precincts, the polling places are being moved, according to Election Supervisor Bill Cowles.
Some old polling sites no longer exist, he explained.
“For example, in remodeling and rebuilding an elementary school, they bought up the property next door to it, which happened to be a church and the church is now gone. So we have to find a new polling place.”
In general, polling places change when the site is no longer available, or because of a shift in population that makes another site more accessible.
“Our goal is we want to get the voter to the right polling place the first time,” said Cowles. “We are a community that is changing, growing, things happen and so we just have to prepare for it and start educating voters on the change to them.”
There 247 polling places in Orange County.
Polling place changes affect the following precincts:
- Precinct 130 will move to Lake Whitney Elementary School at 1351 Windermere Road from Windermere Seventh Day Adventist Church.
- Precinct 138 will move to Stoneybrook West Golf Club at 15501 Towne Commons Boulevard from Oasis Community Church.
- Precinct 140 will move to Water Conserv II Distribution Center at 17498 McKinney Road from Orange County National Golf Center.
- Precinct 215 will move to New Life Church at 3311 N Powers Drive from Orlando Baptist Temple.
- Precinct 219 will move to West Oaks Mall at 9401 W Colonial Drive from New Life Church.
- Precinct 220 will move to Woman's Club of Ocoee at 4 N Lakewood Avenue from Ocoee Lakeshore Center.
- Precinct 229 will move to Apopka Calvary Nazarene at 750 Roger Williams Road from Inspire Centre.
- Precinct 232 will move to Grace Pointe Church at 2051 Lester Road from Apopka Golf & Tennis at Errol Estate.
- Precinct 233 will move to Word of Life at 1853 Vick Road from Northside Baptist Church.
- Precinct 239 will move to Zellwood United Methodist Church at 5538 W Jones Avenue from St Patrick Catholic Church.
- Precinct 302 will move to Wadeview Neighborhood Center at 2177 S Summerlin Avenue from 1st Christian Church of Orlando.
- Precinct 335 will move to National Guard Armory at 2809 S Ferncreek Avenue from Pershing Avenue Christian Church.
- Precinct 340 will move to Union Park Church of the Nazarene at 1670 N Chickasaw Trail from Italian American Social Club.
- Precinct 410 will move to Legacy Middle School at 11398 Lake Underhill Road from East Orlando Harley Davidson.
- Precinct 412 will move to Stoneybrook East Fitness Center at 14351 Stoneybrook Boulevard from Stoneybrook East Golf Club.
- Precinct 420 will move to Rancho Isla del Encanto at 6747 Whispering Pines Road from Worship & Praise Center.
- Precinct 505 will move to Marks Street Senior Recreation Complex at 99 E Marks Street from IBEW Union Hall.
- Precinct 543 will move to East River High School at 650 East River Falcons Way from Bithlo Community Center.
- Precinct 548 will move to Florida Conference United Church of Christ at 9300 University Boulevard from Acacia Florida.
- Precinct 618 will move to New Covenant Bible Fellowship at 1722 W Oak Ridge Road from UAW Local 788 Union Hall.